MEDICAL LEARNING 3

 


CLINICAL CASE NUMBER 3

 

   

M.D(Med),D.O.I.H,F.I.A.E,D.H.A,F.A.I.M.P(Cardiology)

Senior Cardio-Metabolic Physician

Senior Echocardiography Trainer

Cont.: 8605657755
 

 

 


 

I had just discussed a case of bedsores last week. Today I was shocked to see yet another case of bedsores. A 66 years old female having a healthy life, had not even visited a doctor for any complaints for the last 15 years, was admitted to a good city hospital for mild breathlessness.

 

She had IHD with mild cardiac failure. She was managed very well and sent home after 10 days of hospitalization. Patient was brought back on a wheelchair while she had walked to the hospital. Seven days had passed at home. She stopped eating and was yelling and the relatives did not know what to do. As there was no support from the hospital for home care, I was called in. I went to see the patient with a nursing staff.

I had the shock of my life. The patient was delirious and in septic shock. When I went to check the patient in details, she had a massive bedsore on her back and buttocks which was bleeding and full of pus and necrotic material.

 

I had a number of good cases to write but I took this because of the same nursing negligence...leading to bedsores. This time patient had already gone in septicaemia and was very critical. This patient was a simple IHD case and  was not destined to get bedsores, but that happened and nobody noticed.

 

I have a small request to all my friends. Please keep these two cases in mind. Whenever any of your relatives are admitted to any hospital, please requests and remind the doctor to see that your patient does not get bedsores.

Bedsores are totally preventable problems, but once you get them, very difficult to heal. A sensible nursing will never allow the bedsores to come.

 

Let me stop here with a small reminder that any bedridden patient can get bedsores, if the nurses do not take the proper  care. Be alert to remind the nurses and doctors to see that your patient does not go home with a bedsore.

 

            BED SORES CAN BE DEFINITELY PREVENTED.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When you have a negative thought in your mind....Do this exercise.

Learn to Ask and learn to Thank

Which Pathy is better.